Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Grand Finale 5: Finishing up and Moving on

After lunch, Jane and I tackled one more kind of issue, something she called “soul ties”. Several people in my life were hubs of emotional energy and agitation, distracting me from Christ, sucking up my attention, and disturbing my peace. The first step in restoring the situations was to forgive any harm they had caused me or grudges I held against them. That was easier said than done. After trying to let go and forgive, Jane asked me to think about the person again and see if I felt differently. After truly forgiving, I found that when I thought of the person I no longer felt distress, but peace and empathetic compassion. At that point, I could ask God’s forgiveness for my part in forming the dysfunctional connection. After receiving God’s forgiveness, I could declare the connection broken. Finally, Jane told me to listen to the Holy Spirit for instructions as to how to relate to the people in the future.

Exhausted but satisfied, Jane and I sat back in our chairs. It was time for me to catch the afternoon bus. It had been a very full 30 hours. I felt like a live wire, full of excitement at the new world Jane had shown me. My head was reeling at the experiences and implications for the future. Jane gave me last minute reading suggestions and encouragements as she walked me to the bus stop.

“You have made great progress but you have to walk it out. There is nothing neutral; don’t give your enemies an excuse to come back into your life.”

I was in a daze. “But how do I do that?”

“Keep the company of the Holy Spirit; anything in your life which doesn’t jive with the Holy Spirit, get it out of your life. You have authority; use it! Read the Bible every day. Remember to keep developing into a new creation by the renewing of you mind.”

I nodded.

“Send me an email every now and again.” She added warmly. That broke the spell. With hurried thanks, I was hustled on the bus, squeezed between the open window and a tribal woman holding a baby. As the miles rumbled by, I knew that I had entered a new world. A world where evil was active but also where God was personal and powerful, a world where there was no limit to the possibilities for partnering with God in ministry and individual transformation. As Mirpurkhas slowly came back into view, I knew that I was now responsible for my new knowledge; there was no going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment